(Editor’s note: The holiday season is upon us and I for one am excited. These next few months are my favorite time of year. But something inevitably also happens that gets under my skin. Some cable television “news” hosts start bemoaning there’s a “War on Christmas” just because some people prefer to say “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas”. My mom forwarded this letter to me years ago in an email and I’ve hung onto it ever since just as a reminder, especially around the holiday season, of what Jesus might actually say if we were listening.)
It has come to my attention that many of you are upset that folks are taking My name out of the season. Maybe you’ve forgotten that I wasn’t actually born during this time of the year and that it was some of your predecessors who decided to celebrate My birthday on what was actually a time of pagan festival. Although I do appreciate being remembered anytime.
How I personally feel about this celebration can probably be most easily understood by those of you who have been blessed with children of your own. I don’t care what you call the day. If you want to celebrate My birth just GET ALONG AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER. Now, having said that, let Me go on.
If it bothers you that the town in which you live doesn’t allow a scene depicting My birth, then just get rid of a couple of Santas and snowmen on your own front lawn and put a small Nativity scene there instead. If all My followers did that there wouldn’t be a need for such a scene on the town square because there would be so many of them around town.
Stop worrying about the fact that people are calling the tree a holiday tree instead of a Christmas tree. It was I who made all trees. Remember Me anytime you see any tree. Decorate a grapevine if you wish; I actually spoke of that one in a teaching that explained who I am in relation to you and what each of our tasks are (Look up John 15:1-8).
If you want to give Me a present in remembrance of My birth, here is my wish list. Choose something from it.
1. Instead of writing protest letters objecting to the way My birthday is being celebrated, write letters of love and hope to soldiers away from home. They are terribly afraid and lonely this time of year. I know, because they tell Me all the time.
- Visit someone in a nursing home. You don’t have to know them personally. They just need to know that someone cares about them.
- Instead of writing your neighbor complaining about the wording on the cards his wife sends out this year, why don’t you write and tell him that you’ll be praying for him and his family this year. Then follow up. It would be nice to hear from you.
- Instead of giving your children a lot of gifts you can’t afford and they don’t need, spend time with them. Tell them the story of My birth, and why I came to live with you down here. Hold them in your arms and remind them that I love them.
- Pick someone that has hurt you in the past and forgive him or her.
- Did you know that someone in your town will attempt to take their own life this season because they feel so alone and hopeless? Since you don’t know who that person is, try giving everyone you meet a warm smile. It could make the difference. Also, you might consider supporting the local suicide hot-line; they talk with people like that everyday.
- Instead of nit-picking about what the retailer in your town call the holiday, be patient with the people who work there. Give them a warm smile and a kind word. Even if they aren’t allowed to wish you a “merry Christmas” that doesn’t keep you from wishing them one. Then stop shopping there on Sunday. If the store didn’t make so much money on that day, they might close and let their employees spend the day at home with their families.
- If you really want to make a difference, support a missionary, especially one who takes My love and Good News to those who have never heard My name. You may already know someone like this.
- Here’s a good one: There are individuals and whole families in your town who not only will have no “Christmas” tree, but neither will they have any presents to give or receive. If you don’t know them personally, buy some food and a few gifts and give them to the Marines (Toys For Tots), the Salvation Army, or some other charity which believes in Me and they will make the delivery for you.
- Finally, if you want to make a statement about your belief in and loyalty to Me, then behave like a Christian. Don’t do things in secret that you wouldn’t do in My presence. Let people know by your actions that you are one of mine.
PS – Don’t forget: I am God and can take care of Myself. I will fight my own battles. Just love Me and do what I have told you to do. I’ll take care of the rest. Check out the list above and get to work; time is short. I’ll help you, but the ball is now in your court. And do have a most blessed Christmas with all those whom you love and remember.